Choosing to remodel your Pinehurst home is a big decision, and one of the biggest investments you will make. Once you’ve made the decision to remodel, it’s very important to do your due diligence and choose a good, reputable contractor to do the job. Of course, we hope you will choose Century Construction, but don’t take our word for it!
There are some obvious basic things you should look for in a good contractor – like their reputation around town, the professionalism of their crew, and the quality of their other handiwork. We have all heard horror stories of kitchens being demoed, and the contractor never coming back to finish the job – or doing a very poor job that ends up needing to be completely redone. There are even TV shows about this stuff because it happens so often.
Please, before you sign on the dotted line, do a little research! Here are some things you can do to protect yourself and your home from a possible manmade disaster.
- Interview several contractors. Don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to get a firm grasp on what a company stands for, and the quality of their work!
- Get written bids from every contractor you interview. Compare apples to apples – but remember to also consider the quality and reputation of the contractors you are interviewing. Sometimes, paying a little more for a service will guarantee higher workmanship, and it is wise to find elsewhere to cut costs.
- Don’t be offended if they can’t start right this second. A busy contractor is a successful contractor! They will work with you as best they can to get the project started and finished on a tight timeline. After all, they want to make money too!
- Ask around! Word of mouth is a big way many contractors are able to grow into big businesses in local communities. It is a tried and true marketing technique. So ask around at work, church, yoga class, etc. to see if anyone you know has experience with a local contractor – and what they have to say about them, good or bad.
- Check licenses and BBB complaints. You can go to the Better Business Bureau’s website and easily find if any contractors have had unresolved customer complaints. Likewise, take a gander at their social media pages – what are current and former customers saying? However, keep in mind someone just having a bad day might decide to go off on a contractor without good reason – and there are two sides to every story. If there is a contractor you like, but see a concerning comment or review somewhere, just ask them about it!
- Get the proper permits. There are some contractors out there who love to cut corners and ignore the need for permits. Doing a home renovation project without the right permits can violate local ordinances and open you up to fines and a heap of trouble! Legitimate contractors are easily able to get the right permits from the right entities because they work with the organizations every single day.
- Make sure there is wiggle room in your budget! It is so easy to spend, spend, spend when you see all the wonderful options on the market for your remodel, but remember it’s pretty common for projects to cost a little more than you might expect. Having a little wiggle room, and working with a contractor who doesn’t push you to spend your max (or more) is important to enjoying the remodeling process, and finished project.
Century Construction in Texas can help you with your home remodeling project in Pinehurst from start to finish. We don’t cut corners or skimp on quality!