As fall approaches and temperatures cool off a bit in Pinehurst, we are coming into a busy season for new construction, reconstruction, and remodeling. With busy summer business seasons winding down, and a new school year just around the corner, this is a popular time for companies to invest in some changes in their business. If you’ve decided to remodel, expand, or even build a brand new facility, Century Construction Services can handle your project start to finish!
But, we understand there is a lot more to projects like this than just choosing a reputable construction company. More important than that decision is keeping your customers happy and safe during the entire process. Here are four ways to minimize the impact of construction work on your business.
- Status Updates. Have you ever been a customer of a business going through a remodel and received emails from them about the progress and any changes or closures that might impact you? We highly recommend keeping your customers in the loop on the construction process so they aren’t surprised or hesitant to enter when they see work being done at your business.
- Manage Traffic. Make sure the main entrance in and out of your business stays open to foot traffic during normal business hours. Customers should be able to come in, access crucial customer areas (or shopping areas, depending on the type of business you have), and easily exit the property. The easiest way to get this done goes along with our point above: communicate. In this case, communicate through clear signage. Post signs for construction zones, creating a good traffic flow, where people should park, building entrances and exits, areas that are off limits or require extra caution when entering, detours, totally restricted areas, employee areas, and even access routes for emergency vehicles. The more clearly labeled everything is, the more comfortable your customers will feel being on site. Hey, if they are bringing their small children, there are a lot of little boys in the world who might be thrilled to witness some of the hustle and bustle of the construction process, too!
- Keep it Clean. There are several levels to this. First, make sure the construction company you hire is committed to keeping workspaces as clean as possible and are able to contain the construction mess and debris to affected areas. Chambers can be constructed to divide affected areas from unaffected areas, and machines can be set up to scrub and keep the air clean. Daily cleanup is also a must.
- Stay On The Same Page. Make sure you and your team are on the same page with your messaging to your customers during the construction process. Don’t hesitate to apologize for a little bit of disarray or noise. Feel free to explain to them what you’re doing to make your business better than ever! And, consider having a grand reopening to celebrate the changes, updates, expansion, or whatever else you may be calling it when the project is all said and done!
Assessing the Need to Expand Your Business & How to Make it Happen
Business growth in Pinehurst is scary – and exhilarating all at once. There are a lot of things to think about when you’re considering expansion – from employees and departments to logistics and space. While Century Construction can’t really help you with your HR or marketing problems, we certainly can help you create a new workspace in the Pinehurst area that is perfect for your company’s needs.
So how do you know when it’s time to expand your footprint? Here are five steps to consider:
- Assess the situation. Look at the pros and cons, look at your cash flow, and take a solid look at your expectations of a possible expansion.
- Build your team. You have to have a great team around you to help the vision you have for your company transform into reality.
- Grow your customer base. It’s possible that this has already happened, which is why you need to expand in the first place! And once you do expand, imagine how much more room for growth you’ve open up for your company.
- Raise the capital. This is a big one. Just like adding an addition to a house, or building an all new home, there is a major price tag attached. Depending on your current location, expansion could be an option. Or, it might be time to invest in a new piece of property and start from scratch. Either way, having a good construction team on your side from day one will help you determine what route you should choose, and what kind of investment you’re looking at to make it all happen.
So let’s say you choose to start from scratch and build a whole new location for your company. There are some proven ways to make the whole process go much more smoothly.
First, begin planning for the project with a reputable construction company like Century Construction. It is important to look at the scope of the project, funding, design, proper permits that are necessary, and so on. Do not settle for a contractor that is going to try to cut corners to save a few bucks. If they’re willing to go behind the city’s back and work without the proper permits, what else could they be doing wrong on your brand new building?
If you are concerned about the prices of some of the materials, don’t be afraid to ask about alternatives. There are always new innovations in building coming into the marketplace, and also some tried and true classics that can keep your initial design and vision intact, while making a few adjustments to the budget.
Plus, if there is a feature you really want now, try to work it into the budget now rather than hoping to add it down the road. It is easier to add it during the initial construction process than to do it later.
And most of all, work within your budget. You want to be able to enjoy your new space when it is all said and done, and being in debt up to your eyeballs is not a great way to start.
When you are ready to move into a new space contact Century Construction Services to help you create a commercial building that fits all of your needs.